I love food. I love to eat, I obsess over foodie culture, I obsess over what to eat.
But I hate grocery planning and shopping. Which we’re in the middle of doing right now (which is why I’m blogging instead). It really isn’t that hard and we’ve got some basic rules we try to follow:
- We almost always buy a whole chicken which then gets used over three meals.
- We try to have fish/seafood at least once (preferably twice) a week.
- We try to have a veggie meal at least once a week.
- Lunch is usually sandwiches and fruit.
- Breakfast is oatmeal for him, soy smoothies for me.
- Snacks are limited to raw nuts or yogurt or fruit (or some combination thereof).
So why is menu planning still so freakin’ hard? We’re currently stuck on what to have for lunch today: nothing is appealing to either of us. (In our defense, we did just eat our mid-morning snack of yogurt and fruit.) So we’re heading out with our list mostly complete and we’ll probably wind up splurging on an impulse buy for lunch… which is exactly what we try to avoid by creating grocery lists and menu planning… argh.