Maybe I won’t finish up on Asia after all? Who knows. I’m just not feeling the need to write on that trip right now.
Instead, it occurred to me that it would be nice to have, for future reference, my thoughts on bucket list travel. And since this blog is for me (since I’m pretty sure my readership is in single digits), why not write about what’s on my mind?
I’m extremely fortunate to be able to travel as widely and as often as I have. Over the past 15 years, I’ve hit dream locations, sometimes repeatedly:
- United Kingdom (London, the Midlands, the Cotswolds)
- Ireland (Dublin)
- France (Paris, Nice, Burgundy, the Rhone)
- Italy (Rome, Florence, Siena, Tuscany)
- Germany (Munich, The Black Forest)
- Austria (Salzberg, Austrian Alps)
- Spain (Barcelona and surrounds)
- South Korea (Seoul)
- Hong Kong
- Macau (well… kinda…)
- Argentina (Buenos Aires, Mendoza)
- Chile (Santiago)
- Peru (Lima, Cusco, Machu Picchu)
- Panama (Panama City)
- Canada (Toronto, Stratford)
- Mexico (well… kinda…. does resort-land count? I don’t really think so)
Not to mention all the fabulous areas of the USA that I’ve gotten to explore:
- NYC! (The first trip I ever planned as an adult was to NYC with girlfriends when I was 18 to see “Rent”)
- Charleston, SC
- Savannah, GA
- Washington, DC
- Miami, FL
- Florida Keys
- Williamsburg, VA
- New Orleans, LA
- Austin, TX
- Madison, WI
- Napa Valley
- San Francisco, CA
- San Luis Obispo, CA
- Portland, OR
- Oregon wine country
- Paso Robles wine country
- Sedona, AZ
- Santa Fe, NM
- Honolulu, HI
I know I’ll be editing this to add more places that aren’t springing immediately to mind. I’m also keeping this list to places I’ve been for pleasure; if I add all the places I’ve been to for work, then this would never end!
Still, it’s a big world out there and there’s so many places still to explore. This year, most of the travel we have planned are returns to greatest hits: France, Spain, Korea, possibly California wine country. Don’t get me wrong, I’m DEFINITELY looking forward to all of these trips. But I’m wondering if it’s time to assess where I want to go, actually prioritize locations, and start planning trips based on that.
I’ve never been to the Caribbean, Southeast Asia, the Middle East, or Africa on vacation. (I have been to Liberia for work, but again, I’m not counting work right now.) I’ve barely been to East Asia. So, off the top of my head, here’s what my bucket list looks like:
- Cuba, before we completely spoil it.
- Venice, before it dissolves!
- Australia, particularly Perth wine country, Sydney, and Melbourne
- New Zealand (of course NZ! I’ve seen LotR just like everyone else!)
- South Africa, again for wine country as well as Johannesburg and Cape Town
- Morocco (I’ve been trying to get us to Marrakesh for YEARS!)
- Iraq (assuming ISIL doesn’t destroy all cultural artifacts first)
- French Polynesia
The joy of writing for myself: I can always add to this list!